Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Preparing & Res to Ref- Unit 4



This week I saw the cutest lunch idea that I thought I'd pass along to each of you. It was so quick and easy and to cute not to try if you happen to have a heart cookie cutter and some sprinkles!  My kids loved this so much, begged for it the rest of the week, and with such little effort one would have thought I had been awarded the mom of the week for adding sprinkles to their sandwich!!!  :)

Preparing Hearts for His Glory


This week, the kids drew the Tower of Babel.  I was so impressed in my big 5th graders artwork. I think his turned out great! 

We learned that after the great flood the ash and moisture may have caused the drastic climate changes. 


The kids were amazed to know that most of this area was a part of the Ice Age even into the United States. 


We made a replica with clay of the land and water areas where the ark is believed to have settled. 


I'm personally not a fan of working with clay but, the boys did a great job with this.


The little girl made the flags using toothpicks and then we labeled the bodies of water. 


We used a medicine dropper to fill the seas with water and we also added the ice walls -with cubes of ice- north of the Mediterranian Sea and West of the Caspian Sea.  Hooray for our recycled Chinese food container  with a lid ~ which made a perfect home for our middle east project.


My little bug took on a new concept in math and learned how to borrow twice this week. This came very easy to her.  Love that she loves math and especially love the sweet notes I find on her papers! 


This week in Science we started reading One Small Square: Cactus Desert.  The kids made a Saguaro cactus from green clay and we added toothpick spines.  Next, we used a flashlight to be the sun and noticed that the spines and arms provided shade to the cactus. 


When the sun was directly to the side, the arm of the cactus provided shade for the remaining cactus. We learned that cactus learn to adapt to their warm environment in the desert.


Our first day of co-op in our 3rd year of homeschooling was a success and now I'm kicking myself for not signing up sooner.  The kids really loved their new classes - PE, Multiplication, Drawing, 50 States, Heat & Energy, Survival Life Skills, and Excellence in Writing - and also loved making new friends.  Really looking forward to what co-op will add to our homeschooling year! 


Resurrection to Reformation


This week in Science he read about Venus and studied the surface.  He added color on his own to his note booking pages which is a huge improvement!  The cursive is improving!  YAY!  


His vocabulary -radar & phases- and the science reading narration were added to his science notebooking pages. 

We skipped the butter lava experiment this week as he was quite sure he knew and understood about lava and molten rock.  I actually am considering a step more with the Science because I feel that he needs and can do quite a bit more.  We are looking at Apologia - Physical Science.  I've heard great things about the course and will be deciding soon if we will be changing it up. 


In history, he learned that Carthage was an important city. The notebooking pages are amazing and love following his work throughout the week. 



He continued reading Shakespeare's Midsummer Nights Dream and added a quote to his art. 


He completed his chosen biography on Lebron James. I love how DITHOR is asking him to compare and to think about character traits. It's been neat to see his inner being coming forth with good and deep thoughts.  We will begin working on our book report activities this week. 


There's just something about seeing your child studying the Bible.  Thankful for these simple moments that God is blessing me with.  I can only hope and pray that the seeds that are planted now grow into men and women who are willing to serve the Lord. 

Hope you had a great week! Leave me a comment or  if you'd like to follow our daily journey on our Facebook page, you can like our Heart of Dakota homeschooling page by clicking HERE .

See you next week! 




1 comment:

  1. My son has enjoyed Apologia's Physical Science. He is almost finished with it and will be moving on to their Biology.
    I would recommend the student notebook to go with it. He thinks it is a must. :)

    ReplyDelete